Discussion Questions: Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
1. Grade the book A through F.
2. What do you think of Gilbert's idea that fear and creativity are twins?
3. When are you most fearful in your creative endeavors? Most inspired?
4. When was the last time you overcame a fear? What was the outcome?
5. Gilbert says, “Ideas are driven by a single impulse: to be made manifest.” What great ideas have come to you that you have said yes to?
6. What ideas have you passed up on and why?
7. How do you deal with negativity from your own self and your peers?
8. Gilbert talks a bit about the popular creative stereotype, "the tormented artist" and "tragic heroine." Do you agree with her claims? Other than Gilbert, can you name any examples of a positive or inspiring artist? Someone that isn't so tormented or tragic (or so it seems)?
9. What are you curious about? Where are you currently turning to for inspiration?
10. Lastly, if you have a creative career or are pursuing one, how did Big Magic make you feel?