Book Club Discussion Questions for 'The Orphan Master's Son' by Adam Johnson
It's been a while since our last discussion guide, so let's kick off the summer reading season with this incredible read, The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. And don't forget to check our library for our discussion guide archive.
1. Woah, this book is a serious eye-opener on North Korea. Be honest, what did you know about this mysterious country before reading the book?
2. Do you see the book as an accurate description of North Korea?
3. The main character goes through some very different stages in his life - his whole life reinvented over and over. Which part of the story did you find most engaging?
4. How is the propaganda in North Korea different or similar than the fake news problem that is sweeping the U.S.?
5. What did you think of the North Koreans' descriptions of the United States?
6. Did Sun Moon love Pak Jun Do? How do you differentiate dependence and love in the story?
7. Why was Pak Jun Do so intrigued - or even obsessed - with the idea of the girl who rows in the night?
8. Were there parts of the book you found confusing? Do you think this was intentional on the part of the author? The author has described his book as a "trauma narrative." What does he mean?
9. Is Pak Jun Do an orphan?
10. Lastly, would you recommend this book? What would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best)?