Vegetarian Barbeque Black Bean & Citrus Slaw Tacos Recipe
This flavorful summer recipe brings together unique flavors for a healthy, meatless meal. The meal prep time is relatively low, ~20 minutes, so for those of us with busy schedules, don’t fret, you can handle this!
To the carnivores out there, we promise this vegetarian recipe will not disappoint! After all, who doesn’t love a good taco? This recipe is also gluten-free and can easily be made dairy-free if you opt out of the Mexican cheese. Please remember, if you opt to sub the corn tortillas for a whole grain tortilla then it will no longer be gluten-free.
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup segmented orange, diced pineapple, or diced mango
2 thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
I opted for organic mandarin orange segments that you can find in a can in either water or light juice. Give them a quick rinse and you are ready to go!
3 - 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
12 - 6-inch corn tortillas
2 avocados, sliced
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
Crumbled Cotija cheese
If you aren’t crazy about corn tortillas you can find alternatives like whole wheat in stores.
- Make the super slaw: Whisk together the lime juice, mayonnaise, vinegar, and salt in a large bowl until evenly combined. Stir in the remaining slaw ingredients, and toss to evenly coat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat all of the bean ingredients in a saucepan on medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the garnishes: To warm the tortillas, you can place them directly over a gas flame to char the edges. Be careful. You can also place them on a plate, and cover with a towel to steam in your microwave. If you have an electric stovetop, you can heat the tortillas on a warmed pan, and cover to steam. You can also place them in a warm oven, 300 degrees, for 4 minutes and they should be ready to go!
- Decorate your taco! It doesn’t matter which you put in the tortilla first but make sure to give yourself some of the beans and a generous portion of the slaw. Use the avocado, jalapeno (if you dare) and Cotija cheese to garnish each tortilla.
- Enjoy your delicious tacos!
Julia Blanchard is a content contributor for JUGs by night, by day she works at Amazon on some of Alexa’s feature expansion programs. You can follow her @jcblanchard6 on Instagram.