Book Club Discussion Questions for 'The Madonnas of Leningrad' by Debra Dean
Every once in a while, we love to delve into the romantic world of historical fiction. We love this genre because it's so powerful in its ability to transport you to a different time and place -- especially when a bestselling female author like Debra Dean is at the helm! Madonnas of Leningrad isn't a new release, but it is still well worth a read, and when you do, here's our discussion guide!
- How is Madonnas of Leningrad similar or different from other World War II novels you've read?
- What did the book teach you about WWII impacts in Russia that you didn't already know?
- What would be your memory palace?
- Did this story make you think about your grandparents in a different light?
- Why didn't Marina share her story with her children?
- Have you ever had a conversation where an elderly person told you something shocking or painful about their youth? How did you react?
- Do you plan to share your memories with the next generation? How so? Do you keep a journal?