Book Club Discussion Questions for the Vacationers
HAPPY THANKSGIVING LADIES!!!!
This month we tackled a popular favorite - The Vacationers by Emma Straub. We got the vibe that a lot of people loved this book. Was it just because it was short - or do people have some deeper reasons for enjoying this title? Let's find out.
1. Rate the book from A - F. (Our typical softball first question always does us well!)
2. Age seems to be a significant factor in many of the story lines: Sylvia to Bobby, Bobby to Carmen, Lawrence to Charles, Jim to Madison. Why do you think the author chose to include so many age gaps?
3. Which character did you most relate to?
4. If you had to spend 10 days in a remotely located house in Spain with one of the characters, who would you choose?
5. What is the author trying to convey about family relationships?
6. Why doesn't anyone like Carmen?
7. Infidelity is another main theme throughout the book. Discuss how it is dealt with differently in the various relationships and what this means.
8. How do each of the characters' self perception relate to what they convey to others and what they keep to themselves?
9. Does this book remind you of any others? How about any TV shows or movies? Real life, even?